Play Roly 1: Getting started with letter sound songs
LEARN Verbal blending
What you’ll need
In addition to a device to play Play Roly 1 videos, you’ll need any ball and a marker pen.
Before you start
- Help your child draw Roly’s face on your ball
- Set your device up so that both you and your child can see and hear the video and sit on the floor facing each other
about six feet apart
Playing Play Roly
- Start with ‘man’ and rotate daily through the words
- Press ‘play’ and pass Roly back and forth as you sing-along to the Play Roly 1 videos
- Play the video all the way through from start to finish, asking, “What is Roly saying?” both times when prompted (your child won’t know at first)
- The ending music and high-fiving are always the same and signals that Play Roly is all-done for today
- Move on to the next videos, one daily, and repeat the activity
What to expect
For the first few videos, kids usually just watch—don’t be concerned. Smile with your child, sing, and gently encourage while passing Roly. In time, your child will smile with you, watch your lips as you say Roly’s three-letter sounds, and sing along to the words.
Play a Play Roly 1 Video
Every child learns Roly’s language—verbal blending of Roly’s three-letter sounds into a word— at their own pace. Some kids attempt Roly’s language after a few sessions. But some kids need longer to learn his language. Each time you play, have fun. Keep playing Play Roly 1 until your child consistently says Roly’s word on the first try.
Do not be concerned. Play all six of the videos a second or third time. As you sing and roll Roly, invite your child to watch your lips when you sing Roly’s three letter sounds and encourage your child to sing the letter sounds along with you.
Roly’s letter sounds are repeated many times in Play Roly 1, so your child can master Roly’s language. In Play Roly 2 videos, Roly’s sounds are repeated just once, making it more difficult for your child to learn if you move on from Play Roly 1 too soon.
Move to Play Roly 2 when your child can tell you what Roly is saying in the Play Roly 1 videos consistently on the first try.
Sign up for our free app and each day’s video will be waiting for you.