Play Roly 2: Verbal blending to turn Roly's letter sounds into pictures
PRACTICE VERBAL BLENDING
What you’ll need
A device to play Play Roly videos, your Roly-ball, a blank book or paper, a marker pen, and coloring crayons or pencils.
How to play
- Sit on the floor facing each other about six feet apart so you can both see and hear the device
- Rotate daly through six words
- Before you play, write today’s Roly-word at the bottom of a page in your child’s blank book or piece of paper
- Press ‘play’ and sing and roll to today’s Play Roly 2 video
- Play the video all the way through from start to finish, and both times when the video asks, “What is Roly saying?” also ask your child what Roly is saying
- When the video tells your child what Roly is saying, repeat the answer for your child
- After your child tells you what Roly said, draw a picture of that day’s Roly-word for your child to color
- Move on to the next videos, one daily, and repeat the activity
- If your child does not understand the Roly-word twice in a row, start again at the beginning of the Play Roly 1 videos
What to expect
Over time, watch your child learn Roly’s language—no teaching needed. Each time you play, simply have fun singing along to a new video.
In Play Roly 1, children get lots of practice. Play Roly 2 is more difficult. If your child finds Play Roly 2 challenging, do not hesitate to return to Play Roly 1. It’s all about practice!
Play a Play Roly 2 video
Complete all six Play Roly 2 videos. If your child does not understand the Roly-word twice in a row, return to the Play Roly 1 videos.
Move to Play Roly 3 after you have played all six of the Play Roly 2 videos, your child can tell you what Roly is saying on the first try consistently, and has a drawing of the Roly-word in their book.
Play Roly 2 is more challenging for children because Roly does not offer them as many chances at understanding the letter sounds. You can expect your child to find Play Roly 2 more difficult than Play Roly 1. You can also expect your child to return to Play Roly 1 to do some more practice before having the skills to complete Play Roly 2. Keep playing Roly daily and having fun.
Sign up for our free app and each day’s video will be waiting for you.